The World Wide Web is constantly changing, adapting, evolving. A strong trend that has been around in web design that is becoming more prolific now is the CMS or Content Management System for websites. CMS allows the end user or customer to modify his content on his own. This can be a simple thing like updating a phone number to something more complex like adding a new service and description, or adding images to a photo gallery, or altering prices and adding items in their online store, and even adding a new page to your site all from any computer, directly through there browser. No more do you have to call a designer to make simple content updates for you. I have had people ask me if this scares me, if I will lose business this way. To be honest no, most web designers are not excited about taking the time open, modify, and re-upload a website to make simple text change, or add a photo to the gallery, and most clients are not excited to be charges for something like this either. It puts the power in the site owners hand to keep their website relevant and updated easily and constantly. This is one of the largest advances in web design next to CSS or at least we believe it is here at Square Pixel and here is why.
1. Control. You have control over the content of your website. If you decide to change a description of a product then it’s as easy as just logging on and changing it to meet your current needs. You can do this from any computer with an internet connection simply and quickly, allowing you to make sure your website is updated with relevant information.
2. Content is KING. Your content on your website will help to decide where you are placed in web rankings. By controlling your content you can adjust or fine tune this content to appear more relevant to search engines.
3. Cost Savings. Need to add a new photo to your gallery? Well by the time you get your designer to spend the time to do it when they are hopefully busy with many other projects you will most likely end up with a minimum charge for their time. Frustrating for both parties and can cause conflict or friction. With a CMS website you simply update it yourself, and can remove them just as easily.
4. Product and Inventory Control. A small store, or even a large store who is using the web for ecommerce and income can constantly keep their online wares updated, manage price and inventory. This is important with the speed that ecommerce moves on the World Wide Web.
5. It’s Just Easy. When you can change your web content anytime you need to yourself it’s just easier. It cuts out a lot of hassle and you don’t have to learn to code HTML or CSS, with a simple user interface it’s a snap to keep your website, blog or ecommerce site updated.
If you are curious about how this works, or think your site may need an update or even looking for a new website or ecommerce solution for yourself then feel free to contact us and let us help you through the process and show you the newest cutting edge options available.